Ms Excel is a spreadsheet program included in the ms Office suite of applications. Spreadsheets will provide you with the values arranged in rows and columns that can be changed mathematically using both basic and complex arithmetic operations. In addition to the standard spreadsheet features, Excel offers programming support via ms Visual Basic for Applications (VBA), the ability to access data from external sources via ms Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE). Ms Excel is an Electronic Spreadsheet Computer Program.
Ms Excel was first released for Macintosh systems in the year 1985, followed by the first Windows version in 1987. Check the list to know about the Excel releases for Windows:
- Excel 2.0 (1987)
- Excel 3.0 (1990)
- Excel 4.0 (1992) – Included in ms Office 3.0
- Excel 5.0 (1993) – Included in ms Office 4.0
- Excel 95 (1995) – Included in ms Office 95
- Excel 97 (1997) – Included in ms Office 97
- Excel 2000 (2000) – Included in ms Office 2000
- Excel 2002 (2002) – Included in ms Office XP
- Excel 2003 (2003) – Included in ms Office 2003
- Excel 2007 (2007) – Included in ms Office 2007
- Excel 2010 (2010) – Included in ms Office 2010
- Excel 2013 (2013) – Included in ms Office 2013
Features of ms excel
1. Add Header and Footer
MS Excel allows us to keep the header and footer in our spreadsheet document.
2. Find and Replace Command
MS Excel allows us to find the needed data (text and numbers) in the workbook and also replace the existing data with a new one.
3. Password Protection:It allows the user to protect their workbooks by using a password from unauthorized access to their information.
4. Data Filtering
Filtering is a quick and easy way to find and work with a subset of data in a range. A filtered range displays only the rows that meet the criteria you specify for a column. MS Excel provides two commands for filtering ranges:
• AutoFilter; which includes filter by selection, for simple criteria
• Advanced Filter; for more complex criteria
5. Data Sorting
Data sorting is the process of arranging data in some logical order. MS Excel allows us to sort data either in ascending or descending order.
6. Built-in formulae
MS Excel has got many built-in formulae for sum, average, minimum, etc. We can use those formulae as per our needs.
7. Create different charts (Pivot Table Report)
MS Excel allows us to create different charts such as bar graph, pie- charts, line graphs, etc. This helps us to analyze and compare data very easily.
8. Automatically edits the result
MS Excel automatically edits the result if any changes are made in any of the cells.
9. Formula Auditing
Using formula auditing we can graphically display or trace the relationships between cells and formulas with blue arrows. We can trace the precedents (the cells that provide data to a specific cell) or the dependents (the cells that depend on the value in a specific cell).
How to download ms excel
Purchase an office 365 subscription. Before you can download ms Excel for permanent use, you’ll need to purchase an Office 365 subscription.
If you want to try Office 365 for free for a month, you can download a free trial instead.
- Open your account’s Office page. Go to office.com/setup in your computer’s web browser. This will open your Office subscription page if you’re logged in.
If you aren’t logged in, enter your email address and password when prompted.
- Click Install >. It’s an orange button on the left side of the page.
Click Install. This button is on the right side of the page. Clicking it prompts the Office 365 setup file to begin downloading.
Depending on your browser’s settings, you may have to select a save location or confirm the download before the setup file will begin downloading.
- Install Office 365. Depending on your computer’s operating system, this step will vary. Double-click the Office setup file, then do the following:
Windows — Click Yes when prompted, then wait for Office to finish installing. You’ll click Close when prompted to finalize the installation.
Mac — Click Continue, click Continue, click Agree, click Continue, click Install, enter your Mac’s password, click Install Software, and click Close when prompted.
- Find Excel. ms Excel installs as part of every version of Office 365, so you’ll be able to find it after the installation completes:
Windows — Click Start Image titled Windowsstart.png , then type in excel to bring up the Excel icon at the top of the Start menu.
Mac — Click Spotlight Image titled Macspotlight.png , then type in excel to bring up Excel at the top of the search results.